Your child’s pearly whites are made up of minerals that can be damaged by bacterial acids. Unfortunately, the human mouth contains hordes of bacteria that produce acids every time they feed off of the simple sugars that we eat and drink every day. Over time, dental surfaces can become pitted, creating dental cavities. If left untreated, dental cavities can grow deeper and deeper, leading to discomfort, infections, and even abscesses. The most vulnerable parts of your child’s mouth are the chewing surfaces of the molars, which already have natural pits and crevices that can give bacteria a head start.
Dental sealants are a shield for your child’s molars, keeping the teeth healthy, strong, and comfortable. Sealants are made from a completely safe plastic material that is painted directly onto dental surfaces. Dental sealants are completely invisible and can last throughout your kid’s childhood, warding off cavities and infections.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
- Invisible Protection Dental sealants are completely invisible, helping children to avoid unwanted attention tied to their teeth.
- Makes Brushing and Flossing Easier Dental sealants are also called “pit and fissure sealants” because of their ability to fill in small grooves and pits in the teeth, creating a smoother, flatter surface which is easier to clean and less likely to trap food. This makes them ideal for the molars, which can be harder for children to clean effectively.
- Long Lasting Kids dental sealants in Plano can last as long as 10 years, and can be repaired if they ever crack or chip. Your child will have long lasting tooth protection.
- Effective Dental sealants are capable of preventing as many as 80% of cavities when applied to the molars, which is why they’re so highly recommended for children–and even teens and adults.
- Inexpensive Dental sealants are typically not costly even before insurance. And since dental sealants are so effective at preventing dental decay and its associated expenses, most dental insurance companies cover sealants, making the procedure completely affordable or even free. Even if you don’t have dental insurance, the price of sealants pales in comparison to dental restorations like fillings, endodontic therapy, and dental crowns, making them an excellent investment.
How Dental Sealants Are Applied
Before sealants are applied, Dr. Smith will begin by carefully examining and cleaning your child’s teeth. After the teeth are cleaned and Dr. Smith checks for underlying issues, the surfaces of the teeth are rinsed and dried thoroughly.
Next, a mild etching compound is painted onto the teeth to improve adhesion. Next, the teeth are rinsed and dried again in preparation for the sealant.
The sealant material is either painted or dropped onto the teeth, and a UV light is used to cure the material. Sealants harden in a few seconds, offering instant protection for your child’s smile.
Learn More About Dental Sealants Today
There is a reason that Teeth R Us is known as one of the best practices in Plano for pediatric dentistry. Dr. Smith loves talking with parents and children about the importance of dental care, and keeping your child’s teeth clean and healthy. If you have questions about dental sealants, make an appointment for your child today.