What is a Pediatric Dentist?
Although many dentists market themselves as family dentists, most are not pediatric dentists, which are dental professionals who undergo additional training to treat infants, children, teens, and kids with special needs. In addition to attaining undergraduate degrees and going through a traditional four-year dental school program, pediatric dentists must also complete a two-year residency training to understand the unique dental needs of kids. This additional training helps pediatric dentists to offer a higher standard of care to your child.
The Importance of Early Dental Care for Children
Early dental care is crucial for children since those early years are essential for forming early habits and growing strong, healthy teeth. Pediatric dentists are special because they understand the various stages of dental development from the time your children are born throughout their teenage years, allowing these professionals to offer incredibly customized care. In addition to looking for developmental abnormalities, pediatric dentists can also provide preventive care to ward off early childhood tooth decay, a condition that affects millions of children across the United States.
Services Offered By Dr. Smith, A Pediatric Dentist
Pediatric dentists, like Dr. Smith in Plano, TX, offer a wide range of services for children and families, including:
- Oral exams to diagnose dental decay and examine the tissues of the mouth, tongue, and palate. During these exams, Dr. Smith will also look for signs of other diseases that show symptoms in the mouth, such as diabetes.
- Cleanings to remove plaque and tartar accumulations that could cause early childhood tooth decay or childhood gingivitis.
- Patient education to talk with parents and kids about how to take care of their teeth and gums.
- Habit counseling for early problems like extensive pacifier use or thumb sucking.
- Gentle restorative dentistry to eliminate cavities, tooth decay, and cosmetic abnormalities.
- Treatment for pediatric periodontal disease and other conditions that affect children’s gum tissue.
- Treatment for oral injuries such as avulsed teeth, dental fractures, chipped teeth, and oral lacerations.
Whatever dental health problems your child is struggling with, pediatric dentists like Dr. Smith are there to help!
Dr. Smith: A Pediatric Dentist You Can Trust
Pediatric Dentist Nathifa Smith, DDS is completely dedicated to creating a warm, welcoming atmosphere for children. In addition to making children’s dentistry fun and exciting for your little ones, Dr. Smith also put your mind at ease regarding early childhood dental care. Trust is tremendously important to Dr. Smith, which is why she works carefully with parents to administer the best care for kids.
As a Board Certified Pediatric Dentist in Plano, Texas and a Diplomat of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Smith is dedicated to staying up to date on all of the best new dental technologies for children. In addition to offering oral inhalation sedation and IV sedation in her office, Dr. Smith also holds hospital privileges that allow her to perform advanced pediatric dental procedures under general anesthesia at Children’s Medical Center Plano.
For more information about pediatric dentists or how Dr. Smith can help your family, contact Teeth R Us today to schedule a consultation.